We are on the cusp of entering into the “Dog Days of Summer,” which is the 40-day stretch between July 3rd and August 11th that constitutes the hottest days of the summer season. 🥵 Shoutout to all of the lucky picklers that can head indoors to beat the heat! For the rest of us, this is your friendly reminder to stay hydrated, all day, every day! 💦
Now, let's dive straight into your pickleball tips, strategies, stories, news, and more... 👏
#1. THIS PICKLEBALL STRATEGY WORKS AT EVERY LEVEL...
Pickleball has a range of skill levels, typically broken down by ratings from about 3.0 to 6.0+. The skills and strategies to be successful at each level generally differ. In other words, what works at the 3.0 level may not work at the professional levels. However, there is one pickleball strategy that transcends ratings... 👏
|LEARN WHAT IT IS!|
#2. OH, SAY CAN YOU SEE? NUDE PICKLEBALL ON THE 4TH OF JULY
If you’re looking to hang out and play pickleball on the Fourth of July, there’s a nude tournament just for you in Central Florida celebrating its fourth-year running. Learn more about this nude pickleball tournament and its unique format - which is unique in more ways than one! 😳
#3. HOW TO USE TORQUE TO ADD POWER TO YOUR PICKLEBALL SERVE
Add power to your serve by analyzing one of the most powerful pros in the game, Daniel De La Rosa, whose serve was recently caught on a high-resolution, slow-motion camera! 💪
Selkirk Sport presents the latest in its pickleball lineup—pro court shoes and performance backpacks.
Harnessing years of expertise in research and development 👨🔬👩🔬, Selkirk has created both:
- A pickleball-specific shoe designed for players looking for optimal comfort and performance. These pro court shoes have been designed from the sole-up to be lightweight and ultra-durable, as the extended sole wraps, a tapered lateral side flair, and a responsive outsole flex plate are designed to withstand the sliding movements you make at the Kitchen line.
- The ultimate backpack series, which has already been hailed as one of the most popular bags in the sport. This line offers an uncompromising pickleball bag experience and is crafted from upgraded V-MAX woven performance material, to not only look stylish, but also be functional while you’re on your way to and from the court.
#4. MURMURS FROM THE LOSERS' BRACKET: SILENCE IS... NOT MY STYLE
Do you talk while playing pickleball? Or, do you prefer silence? Silence is just not our style here at Murmurs from the Losers' Bracket. Have a laugh and learn why we can't help but talk on the court. 🤫
#5. WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARE HAVING AN "OFF DAY" ON THE PICKLEBALL COURT
We all have “off days” on the pickleball court, where things simply are not clicking or coming together. When this happens, how do you boost your confidence and maintain your composure in order to make the most of your play? 🤷
#6. RULES REFRESH - PARTNER-CRASHING FOOT FAULT!
Check out the point below 👇, where pros Christa Gecheva and Jill Braverman were called for a Kitchen foot fault, even though Gecheva made contact with the pickleball behind the Kitchen line and Braverman—who was in the Kitchen—never touched the pickleball. So, what happened?
There are a number of ways that you can make contact with the Non-Volley Zone during the act of hitting a volley, resulting in a Kitchen foot fault. 👣 One such way is by making contact with anyone or anything that is touching the Kitchen (for instance, making contact with your partner who is standing in the Kitchen) during the act of hitting a volley. So, since Braverman was in the Kitchen and made contact with her partner Gecheva during the act of a volley, Gecheva committed a fault and lost the rally.
#7. QUICK TIP - DON'T CELEBRATE TOO SOON!
Anything can happen on the pickleball court. Any player, on any shot, can come up with a great “get” or even a lucky shot. As a result, it is important to stay in the rally until the definitive end. Avoid celebrating too soon—even if you think you hit a winner. Otherwise, you may find yourself on the losing side of a rally, just like pro Shelby Bates from the D.C. Pickleball Club in the point below. 👇
Bottom line: Don't celebrate too soon! 🥳
Have a laugh and learn some great tips to take to the pickleball court with longtime humor writer Frank Cerabino's book I Dink, Therefore I Am: Coming to Grips with My Pickleball Addiction! Plus, this book makes a great gift for your favorite player or partner! 📚
#8. 5 TIMES TO USE A DROP SERVE IN PICKLEBALL
You may have heard about the drop serve. But, when should you use the drop serve in order to strategically advance your game? Learn 5 times the drop serve can be beneficial to your pickleball game. 🔥
#9. HEADLINES FROM THE COURT
Serving up the latest pickleball headlines over the last two weeks... 🗞
- The power of pickleball carries on, as the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Arizona is using the sport of pickleball with its patients to help grow a person’s desire to recover. Further, Pickle in the Middle in Minnesota, along with nonprofit Alight, partnered to organize pickleball programming for a group of Afghan refugees to help them get acclimated to life in Minnesota. 👏
- Need a playlist next time you hit the pickleball court? 🎶 If so, pros Ben Johns and Anna Leigh Waters teamed up with Spotify to create a playlist for you, since Spotify has seen a more than 930% increase in “pickleball” playlist streams in May 2023 compared to May 2020.
- Retirement Living (a lifestyle publication for seniors) “ranked 99 of the most populated U.S. cities based on their noise pollution level.” And, the number of pickleball courts in each city was one of the main contributing factors to the list. Did your city make the list of the noisiest cities? 💥
- Not surprisingly, pickleball tourism is growing, just like the sport itself. “Pickleball diehards are choosing vacations based on where they can play.” 🏝
- Do you recognize any of these quintessential “characters of open play” (described by Forbes) on the pickleball courts? Or, have you heard any of these phrases “never to say to someone who loves pickleball” (summarized by the satirical media company, The Onion)? 🤔
#10. ON THE TOUR - MLP SEASON 1 WRAPS FOR THE 2023 SEASON
Season 1 of 2023 for Major League Pickleball (the first of two mini-series for the 2023 calendar year) came to an end with the “super finals” being aired live on ESPN2, where the top two teams on the season would play head-to-head for the chance to take home $240,000 on the day. Heading into the super finals, world #1 Ben Johns and his Seattle Pioneers looked to be the strong favorites, as the Pioneers won two out of three events to earn their spot in the super finals. Their challengers—the LA Mad Drops—won the other of the three events. However, the Mad Drops made a statement from the very first game of the match and completely upset the Pioneers in straight games. Mad Drops player Irina Tereschenko has now won more than 50% of total MLP events since its inception, making her the “MLP GOAT.” 🔥
Don't forget to mark your calendars for more pro pickleball action in July (i.e., the start of the "Dog Days of Summer")! 🗓
#11. 7 TIPS FOR WHEN YOU ARE LOSING ON THE PICKLEBALL COURT
Pickleball is a game, so there are winners and losers. And, eventually, we all do it… we all lose on the pickleball court. What do you do if you find yourself losing? f you find yourself on the verge of losing a pickleball game, try these 7 tips to help turn the game around and grab a win! 🤗
SHARE WITH A FRIEND!
Did you like this free pickleball newsletter? If so, please share it 💗 and help a friend up their pickleball game with tips, strategies, stories, and more! Plus, you can grab free rewards! 🤑
It's easy to share. Click the button below to share via a link, an email, or on social media. Plus, you can see how close you are to your next reward...
|CLICK TO SHARE|
BALL'S IN YOUR COURT...