A picture is worth a thousand words... or at least one word that is relevant to all of us. Can you guess it? 👇
Now, let's dive into your pickleball tips, strategies, stories, news, and more! 👏
#1. WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO YOUR PICKLEBALL GAME—POWER OR SPIN?
With finite time to invest in improving your pickleball game, where should you put your focus—power or spin? Get our take on whether power or spin is more important to your success on the pickleball court. 🤔
#2. TRANSGENDER PICKLEBALLER COURTS ACCEPTANCE IN GAME SHE LOVES
A transgender woman with aspirations of playing professional pickleball made an unusual plea on Facebook 📱, a plea to be allowed to play. Read more about Sara Weiss and her plea after being singled out by the Independent Council on Women’s Sports (ICONS) (a group that advocates barring transgender women from competing in women’s categories of sports) for her participation as a woman at the US Open Pickleball Championships.
#3. PICKLEBALL DINKING STRATEGIES: 7 TIPS TO WIN THE DINK BATTLES
How do you make the most out of your dinks? You and your partner worked so hard to get to the Kitchen line (as most points are won there!), but now how do you win the point? Learn 7 tips to help you win the dink battles on the pickleball court. 🔥
|GET THE 7 TIPS!|
SLK HALO: PICKLEBALL PADDLES WITH OPTIMAL SPIN & CONTROL
Available in both the 13mm Power Core and the 16mm Control Core, HALO paddles let you choose the performance angle you need most, while delivering unstoppable spin and reliable consistency to dominate the court. Perfect for singles and doubles players, from beginner to pro. 👏
- HALO Power – Featuring Rev-Core Power Polymer Core Technology, the HALO Power combines a powerful 13mm paddle core with a large sweet spot, for the power you need to win.
- HALO Control – Uniting Rev-Core Control Polymer Core Technology with a 16mm paddle core and an ultra-large sweet spot, the HALO Control gives you ultimate control of the game.
The HALO Power and HALO Control paddles are also each available in two shapes:
- Max – The Max provides maximum surface area for a larger sweet spot. Ideal for balanced players.
- XL – The elongated XL shape supports a longer handle and increased spin. Perfect for aggressive players.
#4. MURMURS FROM THE LOSERS' BRACKET: PICKLEBALL'S MOST POWERFUL SPOKEN WORD
The most powerful word spoken on a pickleball court is “Out!” All sorts of things can happen if you use it carelessly. 😵 Have a laugh with Murmurs from the Losers' Bracket and learn more about pickleball's most powerful spoken word. (For those new to Murmurs, this is a humorous tongue-and-cheek opinion piece - don't take us too seriously... we are trying to have fun, just like we do on the pickleball court.)
|HAVE A LAUGH|
#5. PICKLEBALL COMING TO DISNEY WORLD: IT'S A SMALL COURT, AFTER ALL
Pickleball has been exploding and showing up everywhere, from Central Park in New York, to Walmart promotions, to the set of Wheel of Fortune. And now, we can add Walt Disney World to the list. Learn more, including where to find pickleball courts at Disney. 🎡
#6. QUICK TIP - COVER THE THIRD SHOTS DOWN THE MIDDLE
If you are the partner on the receiving team that is already standing at the Kitchen line, be aggressive on the fourth shot in terms of covering the middle. 💪 In other words, if the serving team hits the third shot down the middle, consider being a bit aggressive, covering the middle, and hitting this shot. This is because your partner is moving in to the Kitchen line, so your partner is likely to still be on the move. It is more difficult to hit the pickleball on the move, as opposed to a stationary position. You do not need to be overly aggressive and cover too much of the court, but try covering the middle if you are able to hit a stronger shot than your partner running up from the baseline.
#7. RULES REFRESH - WHO MAKES THE CALL?
Who makes the call during a pickleball tournament without referees? For instance, who is responsible for calling Kitchen foot faults? Or, a fault where a player hits the pickleball before it crosses over to his/her side of the net? The answer is that it depends.
According to the rules of pickleball, in circumstances without a referee:
- Players call line calls on their own respective side of the court;
- Players may call Kitchen and service foot faults on their opponents, but if there is a disagreement, then there will be replay; and
- Players may call any other type of fault against their opponents (e.g., an opponent touched the net or made contact with the pickleball before it entirely crossed the net), but they have no authority to enforce the fault. Rather, the final decision of the fault belongs to the opponent that allegedly committed the fault.
The rules of pickleball also go on to state that, “[i]n the spirit of good sportsmanship, players are expected to call any type of fault on themselves as soon as the fault is committed or detected.” So, practice good sportsmanship out there—even in circumstances where you may need to call a fault on yourself in a tight game! 🤗
FEED YOUR MIND WITH A BOOK!
Have a laugh and get great pickleball tips with longtime humor writer Frank Cerabino's book I Dink, Therefore I Am: Coming to Grips with My Pickleball Addiction! 📚
#8. WHAT IS THE TOMAHAWK SHOT ON THE PICKLEBALL COURT?
A Tomahawk shot is a relatively new shot on the pickleball court that is most commonly used to put away a high overhead to a player’s backhand side. Learn why the Tomahawk shot is becoming more popular in pickleball (i.e., the benefits of using one). Plus, how to hit one! 💥
#9. HEADLINES FROM THE COURT
Serving up the latest pickleball headlines over the last two weeks... 🗞
- Local governments are trying to keep up with the fastest growing sport in America, as pickleball has been mentioned over 16,000 times in local government meeting minutes and agendas during the first quarter of 2023 alone. These mentions generally relate to court construction, park development, and local events. 📈
- Major League Pickleball and the PPA Tour retained Pro Pickle Labs (“PPL”) to test pro players’ paddles, which will hopefully help to resolve the delamination issue that has caused contention in recent months. Of the 240 paddles tested by PPL after the latest MLP event, 6 seemed to be outliers for deflection force. With that said, PPL will perform further dynamic testing prior to issuing any final recommendations on the proper surface roughness/grit of a paddle.
- Pat Sajak and Vanna White turned the Wheel of Fortune set into a pickleball court to promote the sport. 👏
- Pickleball is rising in popularity on college campuses—just ask the University of Florida! 🐊 Will pickleball become an official NCAA sport one day?
- Four pickleball nets were cut and destroyed in the community of Needham, Massachusetts. 😢 Although neither any players nor local police know if there is a connection, some speculate if the act of vandalism was the result of rising tensions between tennis and pickleball players.
USA Pickleball made several headlines to round out National Pickleball Month, as USA Pickleball:
- Joined forces with Pickleball Canada and La Liga Profesional de Pickleball Mexico to create and launch the first continental pickleball federation in the America, called the Pickleball Federation of the Americas (PFA), which will promote the sport throughout North America, Central America, the Caribbean and South America;
- Formally unified with the Pickleball Hall of Fame; and
- Gifted a pickleball court to partners at Special Olympics Michigan.
Learn more about these movers and shake-and-bakers in the pickleball community 🔥:
- The two founders of the US Open Pickleball Championships, Chris Evon and Terri Graham (including the creation of the event, how it ended up in South Florida, how it has grown, and what lies ahead); and
- Billionaire Steve Kuhn, who is on a “mission to be pickleball king of the world.”
#10. ON THE TOUR - TRIPLES & DOUBLES FOR RISING STARS
The pro pickleball circuit has been incredibly active ⭐️ the past couple of weeks—from the US Open Pickleball Championships to the latest stops on both the PPA Tour (Newport Beach Shootout) and the APP Tour (Sacramento Open). Catch up on the latest action (which included, among other things, paddle controversies, middle fingers, and fines):
- Parris Todd Shines in a Dominant 2023 U.S. Open Pickleball Championships Performance
- Johnson with the Double Double and a Paddle Controversy at the Professional Pickleball Association OGIO Newport Beach Shootout
- Daescu’s Two Golds, First-Time Winners Highlight Championship Sunday at 2023 APP Sunmed Sacramento Open
Don't forget to mark your calendars for more pro pickleball action this month... 🗓
#11. 7 TIPS TO AVOID CRAMPING ON THE PICKLEBALL COURT
Cramping is a common issue that can occur when playing pickleball, especially during long matches or when playing in hot and humid conditions. Cramping can kill your pickleball game and cause a lot of pain to your body. 🤕 So, it is clearly best to avoid cramping on the court. Learn 7 tips to help you avoid cramping on the court.
|LEARN 7 TIPS|
GRAB 10% OFF!
Grab 10% off a new paddle, shoes, and more pickleball necessities from Fromuth Pickleball (some exclusions apply) with the code 10PICKLER! 💸
SHARE WITH A FRIEND!
Did you like this free pickleball newsletter? If so, please share it 💗 and help a friend up their pickleball game with tips, strategies, stories, and more! Plus, you can grab free rewards! 🤑
It's easy to share. Click the button below to share via a link, an email, or on social media. Plus, you can see how close you are to your next reward...
|CLICK TO SHARE|
Also, don't forget to follow us on all of your favorite social media channels, including Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
BALL'S IN YOUR COURT...
Interested in partnering with us?