Before we dive in, we wanted to wish all of the pickleball moms out there a very happy belated Mother’s Day! We hope you celebrated on the court. 💐
Now, let's dive into your pickleball tips, strategies, stories, news, and more! 👏
#1. HOW TO AVOID GETTING "BODY BAGGED" IN PICKLEBALL
No player likes to get hit with the pickleball—in other words, get “tagged” or “body bagged” as some players will call it—as it can be a blow physically and to your ego. So, how can you best neutralize your opponents’ body shots and avoid getting “tagged” or “body bagged” on the pickleball court? Learn a few tips now! 💥
|LEARN THE TIPS!|
#2. MURMURS FROM THE LOSERS' BRACKET: IT'S BEEN A HARD DAY'S NIGHT FOR PICKLEBALL SKEPTICS
Pickleball moved up another rung on the sports ladder this week by being the subject of a funny and withering put down from national sportswriter Rick Reilly. Learn why Reilly's piece Washington Post entitled, “Why I hate pickleball” should be celebrated by pickleball players based on a comparison to one of the most famous bands in history. 🤔
#3. INSTANTLY IMPROVE YOUR PICKLEBALL GAME BY GETTING LOW & STAYING LOW
If you watch the best pickleball players in the world, you will notice that their knees are bent and they are, at times, in a deep squat on the pickleball court. This is because the best of the best understand the importance of getting low and staying low on the court. Learn why getting low and staying low will instantly improve your pickleball game. 🔥
Selkirk Sport introduces the SLK EVO 2.0 Series! 🔥 The SLK EVO 2.0 Series delivers three models, each with a slew of new paddle technologies that culminate to three distinct playing experiences, all of which are available in Max (largest surface area and sweet spot) and XL (extended length and added power) shapes. Discover what SLK EVO 2.0 Series model is right for you!
- EVO 2.0 Control: The ultimate paddle choice for beginner to advanced pickleball players seeking superior control, a massive sweet spot, and a luxurious playing experience.
- EVO 2.0 Hybrid: A versatile paddle meticulously designed for both power and control, making it an ideal choice for beginner and advanced pickleball players alike.
- EVO 2.0 Power: The ultimate paddle for tennis enthusiasts and newcomers seeking a powerful, spin-friendly, and consistent performance on the court.
#4. THE CARDIOVASCULAR BENEFITS OF PICKLEBALL – BY THE NUMBERS
Is playing pickleball all the exercise you need to maintain a healthy heart? ❤️ Learn more about the cardiovascular benefits of pickleball based on the numbers!
#5. HAVE YOU MASTERED THESE 5 PICKLEBALL KEYS TO SUCCESS?
Sometimes, even the best of us need to get back to basics, as the basics are the foundations for success. Without a strong foundation, there can be weaknesses in your game as you add more advanced shots and strategies to your repertoire. With that said, are you mastering these 5 pickleball keys to success? 🗝
|LEARN THE 5 KEYS|
#6. QUICK TIP - PLAY POINTS BEFORE IT COUNTS!
If you get a little nervous before a pickleball tournament or other competitive game, work on building your confidence and dissipating your nerves by playing points during your warm-up. Never let your first point count in a tournament. In other words, play intense practice points or, if possible, even practice matches, before playing your first tournament match. Many players play better after a game or two. So, play practice points to get the nerves out of the way before stepping onto the court when it counts. 💪
#7. RULES REFRESH - BE PROMPT!
In a mixed doubles match between Jack Sock—Anna Leigh Waters and Jake Kudsmider—Jillian Braverman, Sock hits a sharp fourth shot near the sideline. Braverman returns the shot, as Kudsmider slowly reacts to call the pickleball out of bounds. The referee quickly rejected Kudsmider’s call and calls “side out.” Why was Kudsmider’s out call not honored in the video below? 🤔
According to the rules, “all ‘out’ calls must be made ‘promptly.’” Further, “promptly” is defined as a specific point in time, which is “prior to the ball being hit by the opponent or before the ball becomes dead.” In the point shown above, Kudsmider made the call after the ball was hit by his opponent, Anna Leigh Waters. As a result, his call was not “prompt” and the ball would be presumed in.
Be sure to make your line calls promptly! ⏰
Click here to get the best value in online video lessons and improve your pickleball game now with 140+ clear, concise, and organized video lessons (or over 7 hours of lessons!) that break down every aspect of the sport of pickleball, including mechanics, strategy, advanced concepts, and drills.
But don't take our word for it, check out one of our reviews below... 👇
|GET ACCESS NOW|
#8. 5 PICKLEBALL STRATEGIES TO WIN MORE POINTS WITH YOUR RETURN OF SERVE
The return of serve is one of the most important shots in pickleball, so we are bringing back some of our best tips to help you make your opponents' third shot as challenging as possible. Learn 5 strategies to win more points with your return of serve. 👏
#9. HEADLINES FROM THE COURT
Serving up the latest pickleball headlines over the last two weeks... 🗞
- With the rising demand for pickleball, private clubs, like Invited, are pushing to build more courts and provide more opportunities to play (while not necessarily diminishing opportunities to play other racquet and paddle sports, like tennis or padel). Also, malls are now replacing empty big box stores, like Bed Bath & Beyond, with indoor pickleball facilities. 🏬
- But, not everyone is “drinking the pickle juice.” For instance, NBA legend Charles Barkley 🏀 recently shamed pickleball as an old-person sport. Barkley is behind the times on this one...
- Pickleball has a way of affecting lives well beyond the court. For instance, one community in Minnesota put on a 24-hour pickleball marathon to raise money to help a middle school teacher recovering from a broken neck, and Francisco German and Shawn Benavente created the Arizona Deaf Pickleball League to merge the deaf and hearing communities together through the sport.
- More celebrities buy into team ownership with Major League Pickleball, as WNBA players Haley Jones and Jewell Loyd, NBA players Jayson Tatum and Zach LaVine, NFL player Josh Allen, and World Chess champion Magnus Carlsen all bought in. 💰
- USA Pickleball now has over 71,000 members. But, who was the very first? Meet the first member of USA Pickleball—Alice “Jo” Hancock! 🤗
- Lastly, shoutout to ambassadors—like Miami, Florida’s Lily Azel—who advocate for pickleball (including more courts) in local communities across the country! 👏
#10. ON THE TOUR - NEW & FAMILIAR FACES ON TOP!
Stay up to date on the latest news from the pro pickleball tours! The PPA Tour continued with a stop in North Carolina, while the APP Tour hit its fifth stop of 2023 in Cincinnati, Ohio:
- The PPA Tour’s North Carolina Open featured tennis pro Jack Sock’s pro pickleball debut, which was stamped with a gold medal 🥇 in mixed pro doubles with world #1 Anna Leigh Waters. Plus, Anna Leigh Waters reclaimed the triple crown! Learn more.
- On the APP Tour, both familiar and new faces topped the podium at the Vlasic Classic, as Parris Todd, Simone Jardim, and Andrei Daescu remain undefeated in doubles play and Alix Truong and Rob Nunnery earn their first gold medals 🥇 on the year.
Don't forget to mark your calendars for more pro pickleball action this month... 🗓
#11. APPRECIATE YOUR GREAT PARTNERS!
We all have good partners and bad partners on the court—whether it is due to skill or attitude. However, every once in a while, you come across a great partner, where you are having the most fun on the pickleball court. When you do, make sure you take a moment to tell them and appreciate them. For instance:
Partner, thank you for:
- asking me to play and share the court with you;
- your constant positivity—especially, for never showing any frustration with my many unforced errors and poor shot selections—and for making me laugh through an intense day of competition; and
- just an absolutely great day on the court!
Plus, they may be more likely to play with you again!
Who is your great partner? Go on and send them a “paddle tap” appreciation message! 🤗
SHARE WITH A FRIEND!
Did you like this free pickleball newsletter? If so, please share it 💗 and help a friend up their pickleball game with tips, strategies, stories, and more! Plus, you can grab free rewards! 🤑
It's easy to share. Click the button below to share via a link, an email, or on social media. Plus, you can see how close you are to your next reward...
|CLICK TO SHARE|
BALL'S IN YOUR COURT...