Say hello to the month of June! 👋
We have some exciting news to share…
Pickleball now has a Ballpark Series™, which will bring world-class pickleball events to your favorite ballparks ⚾️ across the country. First up, Fenway Park in Boston! Then, the series will be headed to Oracle Park in San Francisco and Coors Field in Denver. For those Red Sox, Giants, Rockies, and pure baseball fans out there, sign-ups start today, so act fast 💨 or you may just strike out (pun intended). For more details, check out the article below or head over to:
- redsox.com/pickleball for Boston;
- sfgiants.com/pickleball for San Francisco; and
- rockies.com/pickleball for Denver (registration opens later in June).
Now, let's dive straight into your pickleball tips, strategies, stories, news, and more... 👏
#1. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS PICKLEBALL SHOT? TRY THE FAKE OUT!
Have you ever seen or heard of a fake-out shot on the pickleball court? Learn what the fake-out shot is and why to use it! 😲
#2. MURMURS FROM THE LOSERS' BRACKET: BE KIND TO YOUR LOCAL "PADDLE SHERIFF"
We here at Murmurs from the Losers' Bracket would like to acknowledge the true unsung heroes of the recreational-level pickleball world. We are talking about the people we like to call "paddle sheriffs." Learn more about "paddle sheriffs" and why they deserve some appreciation. 🤠
#3. PICKLEBALL4AMERICA UNVEILS DETAILS OF FIRST EVER BALLPARK SERIES™
The "Biggest Pickleball Party in the World"® may be coming to your favorite ballpark! Pickleball4America just added another event to its world-class US Open Pickleball Championships, with the announcement of the Ballpark Series™. The Ballpark Series™ will be held this July/August on three weekends, bringing pickleball to Fenway Park (Boston - 7/13 to 7/16), Oracle Park (San Francisco - 7/20 to 7/23) and Coors Field (Denver - 8/3 to 8/6). Learn more - including how to sign up to play! Spots will go fast! ⚾️
|LEARN HOW TO SIGN UP!|
Experience the dynamic Selkirk x Champion Youth Apparel Collection - an unparalleled fusion of style, comfort, and performance crafted for young athletes. Merging Selkirk's dedication to pickleball with Champion's iconic sportswear legacy, this collection redefines youth athletic fashion. It features trendy hoodies, jackets, joggers, mesh shorts, and jersey-style T-shirts, designed to fuel the passion of young pickleball enthusiasts.
The collection departs from the ordinary, showcasing a modern and confident design that embodies the diversity of the pickleball community. Each piece, made with superior materials and exacting craftsmanship, delivers excellent value, ensuring young athletes can confidently face any challenge. The Selkirk x Champion Collection - not just apparel, but a bold statement in youth sportswear. 👏
#4. PICKLEBALL, SHE WROTE: SOUTH FLORIDA WOMAN FINDS NOVEL IDEA IN GAME
For Caryn Schulsinger, setting her new novel in the pickleball world just felt comfortable. Learn why Schulsinger was inspired to write a novel that is part romance, part mystery, and full of secret pasts, vindictive family members, and pending criminal charges. 📚
#5. WHEN AND WHERE TO SPEED UP THE PICKLEBALL TO WIN MORE GAMES
Deciding when and where to speed up the pickleball (compared to staying in a dink rally) is an important skill to have. Learn tips and strategies on when and where you should speed up the pickleball to win more games on the court. 💪
#6. RULES REFRESH - REPLAY OFF THE BAR
Certain rules come into play when using a net system with a horizontal bar or a center base—just like the PPA Tour did at the North Carolina Open in a match between Anna Leigh Waters—Jack Sock and Vivienne David—Julian Arnold. In this match (as shown in the video below), a dink by Arnold dribbled over the net bounced in the Kitchen and then, prior to the second bounce, hit the horizontal bar. What pickleball rule comes into play and what is the result? 🤔
According to the rules of pickleball, when playing with a net system with a horizontal bar or a center base, if the ball goes over the net, bounces on the court, and then hits the horizontal bar (on any shot other than the serve), a replay will be called. So, in the video above, where the pickleball hit the horizontal bar after bouncing on the court, the referee correctly required the four pro players to replay the rally. 👏
#7. QUICK TIP - MIX IN A LOB SERVE
Mix up your serves to keep your opponents off balance from the very first shot. One way to mix-up your serves is to use a lob serve, which is a high, loopy serve that is high and deep in the court (and is a good alternative to a traditional straight, flat serve). A lob serve could keep your opponents deep in the court, as well as give your opponent an awkward height of contact and pace when hitting the return of serve. This will make it difficult for your opponent to hit his or her return with any pace—which means that your opponent may be likely to hit the pickleball out of bounds or give you a short return, setting you and your partner up for an aggressive third shot. Plus, you and your partner will have more time to react to the return of serve, since it will be traveling with less pace.
Bottom line: Mix in a lob serve to add variety to your serves! 🔥
If so, then have a laugh and get great pickleball tips with longtime humor writer Frank Cerabino's book I Dink, Therefore I Am: Coming to Grips with My Pickleball Addiction! 📚
#8. PERFECT YOUR PICKLEBALL VOLLEYS BY FOCUSING ON YOUR PADDLE FACE & FOLLOW-THROUGH
Struggling with your volleys on the pickleball court? Learn the keys to the perfect volley, including tips for your grip pressure, paddle face angle, and follow through. 💥
#9. HEADLINES FROM THE COURT
Serving up the latest pickleball headlines over the last two weeks... 🗞
- Pickleball and commercial real estate could be the “perfect match.” Even vintage furniture stores are using pickleball to improve foot traffic! However, the biggest news may just be the Picklemall, which is an indoor pickleball concept that is backed by Major League Pickleball founder Steve Kuhn, plans to open 50 centers across the country in the next two years. 🤯 Picklemall will be high-tech and focus on what Kuhn calls the future of pickleball—indoor pickleball.
- Pickleball is even crossing over into racing, as pickleball courts were spotted in the paddock at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. 🏎
- Do you agree with these touted “weirdest and least understood pickleball rules and regulations”?
- Pro pickleball is improving its visibility with larger broadcast and streaming partners, as the PPA Tour signed a deal with Amazon Prime and Major League Pickleball inked a deal with ESPN2 for its Premier Level Super Finals. Are these new opportunities due to what Fast Company describes as “[m]ore drama, better outfits, faster play, and bigger tantrums”? 📺
- The APP Tour is also making noise on the airwaves, as it and its pro players were featured on Good Morning America on Memorial Day—officially kicking off pickleball as this year’s sport of the summer. The APP Tour also announced a name change—“the Association of Pickleball Players” (changing from “Professionals”)—which insinuates that the APP Tour is the tour for all players (and not just the pros).
- The billionaire co-founder of Avenue Capital Group and former owner of the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks, Marc Lasry, expects investments in professional pickleball (like Major League Pickleball) to offer a higher rate of return to investors than NBA teams. This growing list of “A-list billionaires and celebrities” certainly hopes Lasry is right on their new hot investment. 💰
- USA Pickleball announces Mike Nealy as its new Chief Executive Officer. Nealy hopes to use his sports industry experience leading the Fiesta Bowl and the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes to further the governing body for the sport of pickleball. 📈
#10. ON THE TOUR - TRIPLE CROWNS & EMOTIONAL COMEBACKS
On the PPA Tour, Anna Leigh Waters grabbed yet another triple crown at the Atlanta Open. 👑👑👑 Just five months into the 2023 calendar year, Waters has an incredible 86-2 record on the PPA Tour! Get the full recap on PPA Atlanta Open.
On the APP Tour, William Sobek headlined the New York City Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, as he won his first APP pro gold medal in an emotional comeback from a 14-6 deficit in the must-win tiebreaker (first to 15). Get the full recap from the APP New York City Open. 🏆
Don't forget to mark your calendars for more pro pickleball action in June! 🗓
#11. WHY IS IT DIFFICULT TO GET THE LAST POINT?
All too often, pickleball players fail to finish a game and cannot get passed the number 10. The last point is seemingly always the most difficult to get. Learn why. Plus, get tips to help you conquer the last point on the court. 👏
SHARE WITH A FRIEND!
Did you like this free pickleball newsletter? If so, please share it 💗 and help a friend up their pickleball game with tips, strategies, stories, and more! Plus, you can grab free rewards! 🤑
It's easy to share. Click the button below to share via a link, an email, or on social media. Plus, you can see how close you are to your next reward...
|CLICK TO SHARE|
BALL'S IN YOUR COURT...