Another day, another exciting dose of pickleball news!
Before we dive into tips, strategies, stories, and more, check out a few quick hit headlines from Pickler The Newsroom in the video below 👇, which includes a shot many of us have never seen and may never see again! 🤯
Let's go... 👏
#1. WHAT PICKLEBALL PADDLES ARE MOST POPULAR WITH THE PROS?
Even though there are more than 100 pickleball manufacturers, there are only a handful of paddle brands that professional pickleball players use in competitive events. Learn which pickleball paddles are most popular amongst the pros, and see if you are swinging what the pros are swinging. 🏓
#2. MURMURS FROM THE LOSERS' BRACKET: SEPARATING THE DRINKERS FROM THE DINKERS
We here at Murmurs From the Losers’ Bracket can’t help but notice that as pickleball is becoming more popular, it’s being integrated into restaurant venues where alcohol is on the menu. So as a public service, we have come up with the Top 10 Signs You’re Playing Against Drunk Pickleball Players. Learn how to separate the drinkers from the dinkers... 🍻
|HAVE A LAUGH|
#3. 5 PICKLEBALL TIPS TO MASTER MISDIRECTION SHOTS
In pickleball, it is important to mix up your shot selection and remain unpredictable. One way to keep your opponents guessing is to add misdirection shots to your game. Learn 5 tips to master misdirection. 🎩
|GET THE TIPS!|
Click here for the best value in online video lessons and improve your pickleball game now! Get access to over 140 clear, concise, and organized video lessons (or over 7 hours of lessons!) that break down every aspect of the sport of pickleball, including mechanics, strategy, advanced concepts, and drills.
But don't take our word for it, check out one of our latest reviews below... 👇
|GET ACCESS NOW|
#4. MORE THAN JUST CHILD'S PLAY: PICKLEBALL FOR KIDS
Pickleball is growing across the country, but there are limited opportunities dedicated exclusively to kids to learn to play the game. Addam Shand has made it his business to change that, as he has already taught about 8,000 kids how to play pickleball. Learn more about Shand's mission to establish youth pickleball programs. 🧒
#5. CELEBRITY TO FUEL PICKLEBALL'S GROWTH IN A HUGE WAY
Every day, more and more celebrities are picking up a paddle to join the fun that is the sport of pickleball. From LeBron James to Tom Brady and Kim Clijsters, from Jordan Spieth and Scottie Scheffler to Dirk Nowitzki and John Isner, and from Emma Watson to Will Ferrell and more on a CBS special broadcast of a celebrity pickleball tournament hosted by Stephen Colbert, celebrities are playing pickleball and investing in pickleball. 📈
#6. 5 PICKLEBALL TIPS TO FORCE YOUR OPPONENTS TO MOVE
If your opponents are moving on the pickleball court, then they are more likely to make unforced errors. As a result, to help your chances of winning at pickleball, get your opponents moving around. Learn 5 pickleball tips to force your opponents to move and make more mistakes. 🏃♂️
|GET THE TIPS!|
#7. QUICK TIP - IF YOU THINK ABOUT THE TIME-OUT, THEN TAKE IT
During competitive pickleball play (i.e., a tournament), there may come a time when you lose a few points in a row, and you may ask yourself or your partner, “Do you think we need a time-out?” If you find yourself asking this question, the answer is “YES!” Take the time-out. If you are thinking about it, then you probably need it (just like this beach volleyball duo, who were faced with this familiar issue we see on the pickleball court). ⏱
Also, to note, a good rule of thumb is to (1) use your time-outs (they are use ‘em or lose ‘em), and (2) call a time-out if your opponents have scored three points in a row.
If so, then this book, I Dink, Therefore I Am: Coming to Grips with My Pickleball Addiction, is for you. Have a laugh with longtime humor writer, Frank Cerabino, and grab some great pickleball tips! 📚
#8. HEADLINES FROM THE COURT
Looking for a deeper dive on the latest pickleball headlines in Pickler The Newsroom... 🗞
- “Move Over … Everything? Here Comes Major League Pickleball.” The New York Times seems to accurately capture the world of pickleball in one of its latest headlines, as Major League Pickleball announces another blockbuster ownership group on the heels of the LeBron James and company headlines. This time, 7-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady and 4-time Grand Slam champion Kim Clijsters have bought a team, with an ownership breakdown that is 50/50 male-to-female. Brady is (jokingly) keeping his athletic career alive, as Clijsters looks to help shape the sport’s future. There are still two ownership groups to be announced, which we can only imagine will be even more incredible than the last two... 🤔
However, these are not the only celebrities joining the fun…
- The PPA Tour hosted a celebrity event, where current #1 ranked PGA golfer Scottie Sheffield, former #1 PGA golfer Jordan Spieth, NBA champion Dirk Nowitzki, tennis superstar John Isner, and former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo took to the court to show off their skills and some friendly banter.
- Country pop star Maren Morris declared that “Pickleball is life” on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
- CBS announced that it will debut “Pickled” on Thursday, November 17th at 9:00 pm ET, which is a two-hour pickleball tournament hosted by Stephen Colbert that features 16 celebrities from Emma Watson to Will Ferrell that will be competing for the Colbert Cup. 🏆
All of this celebrity power and influence will certainly further propel pickleball’s growth, but it may also emphasize the current pain points in the sport, which include the escalating tensions with tennis. 🎾 Pickleball and tennis have been at odds over court space (and have even taken to protesting city officials for more courts), but now pickleball and tennis may be becoming at odds over players and broadcast air time, as:
- Former junior Wimbledon champion Noah Rubin is leaving tennis behind to go pro in pickleball (mostly due to his height); and
- The Tennis Channel interrupted its broadcast of the San Diego Open featuring Coco Gauff, Bianca Andreescu, and Madison Keys in order to show the PPA Tour’s pickleball charity event (leaving some tennis fans calling the Tennis Channel “absolutely pathetic”). 📺
- As we have said here before, there is certainly room for both sports to thrive. We are with Venus Williams in saying we are “happy any time people pick up any kind of racquet” – or paddle! There is room for all and there is certainly room for more people to pick up a paddle and make great shots like pro player Jay Devilliers, who put pickleball on the Top 10 Plays on ESPN’s SportsCenter. 🔝
- If ESPN thought that was good, they need to watch more pickleball… There are plenty of moments just like that one. But, this past weekend, we had a shot that many have never seen and may never see again… A behind the head shot from Mary Brascia! Just like MLP, “there’s nothing else like it!” 🤯
#9. WHAT IS A "BERT" IN PICKLEBALL?
What is a "Bert" in pickleball? 🤔 Learn what the Bert is, as well as why and how to execute the advanced shot of the Bert on the pickleball court.
|LEARN THE BERT|
#10. ON THE TOUR: DOMINANCE ON ALL ACCOUNTS 🏆
In just two weekends, pro pickleball showcased two of the best events of the year:
- PPA Championships Showcases 5th Triple Crown on the Year for Teenage Pickleball Phenom 👑👑👑
- Major League Pickleball Finishes 2022 How It Started... With a BLQK Bang 🏆
Learn who the big winners were, which included a 5th triple crown 👑👑👑 on the year for one of the game's most recognizable players, and a team that is quickly becoming the dominant force in Major League Pickleball. 🏆
|MLP CATCH UP|
Don't forget to mark your calendars for more pro pickleball action this month! 🗓
#11. RULES REFRESH - HOW RALLY SCORING WORKS
With the rise of Major League Pickleball, the rise of rally scoring may follow. If you watched any of Major League Pickleball this past weekend, then you may have had a few questions about their use of rally scoring and how it may affect the sport. And, even USA Pickleball has hinted that rally scoring may be featured as a scoring option in the official rules as early as 2023, so it may be time to start to learn the "ins" and "outs" of rally scoring. Learn what rally scoring is, the arguments for and against it, and how it works. 👏
DID YOU LIKE THIS PICKLEBALL NEWSLETTER?
If so, please share it 💗 and grab free rewards! 🤑 We rely on word of mouth and your support in sharing it with your friends helps us keep this newsletter free to the pickleball community. Plus, your friends will love the free pickleball tips, strategies, stories, and more!
It's easy to share. Click the button below to share via a link, an email, or on social media. Plus, you can see how close you are to your next reward...
|CLICK TO SHARE|
BALL'S IN YOUR COURT...