Happy Labor Day! This federal holiday is usually the marking of the end of summer ☀️, and what a summer it has been! If you have spent the summer playing pickleball, traveling, and spending your COVID savings, then you are not alone. Check out Pickler The Newsroom in the video below 👇 to learn more.
Serving up pickleball as the sport of the fall! 🍁 Anyone wearing their "all whites" after Labor Day?
#1. 3 TIPS TO WIN EASY PICKLEBALL POINTS WITH MOVEMENT ALONE
You should constantly be in motion on the pickleball court in order to react and counter-react to the pickleball, your opponents, and your partner. This includes movement both when you are “on the ball” (i.e., when you are or will be hitting the pickleball) and when you are “off the ball” (i.e., when you are not and will not be hitting the pickleball). Learn 3 tips to cause chaos and win easy points with your movement alone. 🏃♀️🏃♂️
|LEARN 3 TIPS|
#2. MURMURS FROM THE LOSERS' BRACKET: STOP MESSING WITH THE ATP
Every year, there are new proposals made to change the rules of pickleball. One such new proposal to the rules is to eliminate the around-the-post (ATP) shot. Read what Murmurs from the Losers’ Bracket has to say about this proposed change... 🤔
|WILL YOU AGREE?|
#3. WHY TRY THE FADE STRATEGY ON THE COURT
The sport of pickleball is still evolving, which means new shots and new strategies are still being developed. One example of a relatively new pickleball strategy is the fade. Learn what the fade strategy is and when to use it in doubles pickleball. 😎
|LEARN THE FADE|
Click here for the best value in online video lessons and improve your pickleball game now! Get access to over 140 clear, concise, and organized video lessons (or over 7 hours of lessons!) that break down every aspect of the sport of pickleball, including mechanics, strategy, advanced concepts, and drills.
But don't take our word for it, check out our latest review below... 👇
#4. HOW PICKLEBALL MADE A SPLASH AT A KIDS' WATER PARK 💦
In a quiet city park that is dominated by a children's water play area, you will not find any pickleball courts. However, you will find pickleball players who are lucky enough to land a reservation in the 10-week intermediate-level clinic. Just about every Wednesday of the year, pickleball evangelist and local Delray Beach guru Michael Niss pulls up in his car, unloads the four bags with portable nets from his trunk, and turns a corner of the park into a bustling pickleball clinic. Learn why this clinic has a waitlist that extends until April 2023!
#5. WIN MORE POINTS WITH THIS PICKLEBALL READY POSITION
One of the most important concepts in pickleball, which is not taught or discussed enough, is the ready position. The ready position is important for a number of reasons, including cutting down on reaction time and hitting better, stronger shots. With that said, what ready position should you use to win more points on the pickleball court? 💪
|ARE YOU READY?|
#6. PICKLER THE PODCAST - THE PICKLEBALL O.G. KYLE YATES
There are not many pickleball players that have been playing as long as pro player Kyle Yates - especially not many at the highest level, like he has. Learn Yates' story about how he found pickleball, how he and his game have evolved, and what motivates him to stay in the sport. Plus, hear how he won his first-ever US Open with a late "pick-up" partner and get more insights into the sport from a unique perspective from this long-time pro (AKA "The O.G." of Pickleball). Tune in now! 🎧
And, don't forget to subscribe to Pickler's YouTube page, so you never miss another Pickler video - whether it be a podcast, pickleball tip video, or other can't-miss video.
#7. QUICK TIP - YOUR PARTNER HAS YOUR BACK
Sometimes, it may seem like the point is over, just as it did to pickleball pro James Ignatowich in the point in the video below (whether because a ball seemed to sail out of bounds or your opponents seemed to hit too good of a shot). However, you never know where the ball may land or what your partner may come up with (cue Mary Brascia).
So, never give up until the rally is definitively over. You just never know when you or your partner may find a little magic... 🧙♂️
If so, then this book, I Dink, Therefore I Am: Coming to Grips with My Pickleball Addiction, is for you. Have a laugh with longtime humor writer, Frank Cerabino, and grab some great pickleball tips! 📚
#8. RULES REFRESH - ASK THE REFEREE
During competitive play, time-outs may be used, which can drastically change the momentum of the game (for better or worse for you). When time-outs are used, it is easy to forget where you were when you come back on the court. For instance, what is the score? Who is serving/receiving? Am I in the right position? However, there is an easy solution for this in competitive play with a referee—ask the referee! You may ask the referee to confirm these questions prior to the serve, so take advantage and confirm that you are in the right position with the right server/receiver, so you do not make any silly mistakes.
Even the pros can be guilty of this, as Mary Brascia and Erik Lange inadvertently mixed up servers in a crucial game 3 at the Tournament of Champions. This mental error 🧠 helped to sway momentum enough to tilt the match in favor of their opponents.
If you do not have a referee, be methodical about putting your paddle in the right position that you should come back to after the time-out. And, if you are the server, make sure you track down the pickleball and place it under your paddle, too.
For a deeper breakdown on all of the rules of pickleball, check out Pickler's Ultimate Guide to the Rules of Pickleball.
#9. HEADLINES FROM THE COURT
Looking for a deeper dive on the latest pickleball headlines in Pickler The Newsroom... 🗞
- Pickleball has been the unofficial sport of this 2022 summer season ☀️, as the game has been all over the place: CNN, the Today Show, New York Times, Bloomberg, BuzzFeed, Time Magazine, Wall Street Journal… and that is just in the last 2 weeks alone! Not to mention, pickleball has also been featured on-stage at a Dierks Bentley concert, and even Melissa McCarthy was caught talking with Kelly Clarkson about her passion for the game… I think we can all relate to McCarthy ourselves or we know someone just like McCarthy.
- Pickleball is the new cross-training activity for other sports, like bicycling, the new deal-making sport (think “golf, without the golf”), and still the sport that can save America with its ability to grow social capital.
- But, not everyone is drinking the pickle juice. Gawker thinks pickleball is all a “psy-op” and tennis legend John McEnroe thinks “pickleball sucks,” but he admits he plays. So, we will convert him eventually…
- Speaking of some “negatives” around the game, everyone is zeroing in on injuries. This point is accurate, but all sports have the risk of injury. So, when millions enter the sport, of course there will be a rise in injuries, just like any other sport. Just be smart out there—stretch, warm up, etc. 🦺
- Also, cartoonists are poking fun at the noise issues with pickleball. What do you think of this for a resolution? 😂
- Lastly, as we close out summer, shoutout to the tours who are bringing pickleball to your hometown across the country. The APP Chicago Open brought a pickleball PR blitz across the Chicago news outlets and even on the diamond at the Chicago White Sox game. ⚾️ Chicago is all-in with 50 courts coming to the city by 2025!
#10. ON THE TOUR: THE APP TOUR FEATURES PICKLEBALL ROAD WARRIORS
The APP Tour is a non-stop pickleball machine. In the last two weeks alone, the APP Tour traveled from Philadelphia to Chicago (and had a stop in Spain, too). Learn who were the big winners 🏆 at these 2 of the 25 U.S. stops along the 2022 APP Tour, and shoutout to the pros and senior pros grinding away week-in and week-out (including some who have already played in over 100 brackets this calendar year)! 😲 #roadwarriors 🔥
|PRO CATCH UP|
And, don't forget to mark your calendars 🗓 for more pro pickleball all September long!
#11. MUST-SEE MOMENT: LESSONS FROM THE G.O.A.T.S 🐐🐐
Although not pickleball, we have an appreciation for doubles tennis 🎾, as it can teach us lessons to take to our pickleball game. In watching the G.O.A.T.s, Venus and Serena Williams, play their last doubles tennis match, there is a lot to learn, including our two major takeaways from the Williams sisters "getting the gang back together":
- Talk and strategize with your partner after every single rally (and cover your mouth when you do to help you keep your strategy discrete) to constantly adapt and adjust to your opponents; and
- Give your partner love, as they are doing everything they can to grind out the point with you.
Shoutout to Serena Williams on an incredibly inspiring career! Cheers to evolving away from tennis (and maybe to pickleball in the future)... ❤️
LABOR DAY SALE!
SHARE THE PICKLER
If you liked this newsletter, please share it 💗 and grab free rewards 🤑! We rely on word of mouth and your support in sharing it with your friends helps us keep this newsletter free to the pickleball community. Plus, your friends will love the free pickleball tips, strategies, stories, and more!
It's easy to share. Click the button below to share via a link, an email, or on social media. Plus, you can see how close you are to your next reward...
|CLICK TO SHARE|
BALL'S IN YOUR COURT...